Tuesday, April 14, 2009

10 8 Truths (Because 10 is hard!)

  1.  It is really not easy to maintain a blog.  I mean I had good intentions, but suddenly life got too hectic; the hairdo became less “new”, and the blog fell by the way-side.  I hope to do better.

 

  1. I still love my hair even though my locs haven’t matured.  Honestly, I thought I have long, flowing locs by now.  At 6 months, yeah right!  Well, it was my fantasy until it didn’t come to fruition. 

 

  1. I still have hair all over my bathroom floor.  It’s true; every time I wash my hair, I braid & band and once I take the loc loops or spirals out, hair comes out with them.  I understand I still have some loose hairs and I’m not fully locked yet, sigh…

 

  1. My hair gets depressingly dry.  I have tried many remedies and the best one yet was a simple visit to hot, humid Charleston.  That climate worked wonders on my tresses.

 

  1. The lighter persuasion (white folk) handles natural hair so much better than us darker ones.  And I know this subject gets beat into the ground, but black people, can we please get out of our own way?!?

 

  1. “A thug changes, a love changes, and best friends become strangers”.  That was an old quote by rapper Nas and I meditate often on how true that still is.  I wonder where my best friend from high school is. 

 

  1. My consultant is awesome and I don’t know more than she does about locs.    It’s a natural tendency once you do so much research, get locs, read blogs and follow LIU everyday to think you’ve become an expert.  Respect her training (formal and on-the-job), her experience, and her intuition –she knows what she’s talking about.

 

  1. It is difficult to come up with 10 truths.  I think this is a good stopping place J.  

3 Positive Expression(s):

Maryee said...

Cute 8 Truths. You are so right!

blackrussian said...

I really fell off on taking pictures when the locks became less new.

I used to take pictures every month. Now it's about once every 6 months.

You mentioned dryness. Especially since we have such warm weather here, why don't you just spritz it with water.

I keep a spray bottle in the bathroom and lightly mist my hair before going out. Just til they're moist, not til they're dripping.

It keeps my locks soft and curly and dries to the touch in less than an hour, but retains just enough moisture to feel supple and healthy.

It's the next best thing to being in Chucktown.

You are SO right about No. 5!

9th Hr Poet said...

Blackrussian:

I spritz a little from time to time, but my locks just end up looking frizzy.

What has helped some is essential oils. I'll have to blog about that soon. I started using the Peppermint, Lavender, and other mists from the SL website. I haven't dabbled in creating my own mists as of yet.

Hairstyles before SisterLocks